Login ID:
Password:
Partner Login
Contact Us : 7066511911

Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks jump after Powell hints at rate hike slowdown

1 Dec 2022 8:17 am
 Comments 0 Comments  |  Comments Post Comment  |  Font Size A A A 

Mumbai, 1 DEC (Commoditiescontrol): Asian equities jumped on Thursday, while the dollar slid as investors poured into risky assets after Federal Reserve Chair Jerome Powell opened the door to a slowdown in the pace of monetary tightening.

In an eagerly-awaited speech, Powell said the central bank could scale back the pace of its interest rate hikes "as soon as December," but cautioned that the fight against inflation was far from over.

Powell's comments at the Brookings Institution in Washington sent Wall Street equities soaring, while the U.S. dollar and Treasury yields fell.

MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares outside Japan jumped 2% in early Asian trade.

The index posted its biggest monthly gain in nearly 30 years in November as hopes for a Fed pivot towards slower rate hikes gathered steam after four consecutive 75-basis-point increases. But the index was still down about 17.5% on the year.

Japan's Nikkei opened 1% higher while Australia's S&P/ASX 200 index rose 0.85%. E-mini futures for the S&P 500 rose 0.20%.

Analysts said it will be very hard now for the Fed to push back against market expectations for a slowdown in rate hikes. They hope inflation will keep on falling, or this may look like a missed opportunity. Markets are currently pricing in a 91% probability that the Fed will increase rates by 50 basis points on Dec. 14, and see a 9% chance of another 75 basis point hike.

Mainland China stocks opened up 1.2% and Hong Kong shares rose 2.5% in early trade after they closed higher on Wednesday following the easing of COVID-19 measures in Guangzhou city.

China's factory activity shrank in November as widespread curbs disrupted manufacturers' output, a private sector survey showed on Thursday, weighing on employment and economic growth in the third quarter.

U.S. Treasury yields fell after Powell's comments and remained lower Thursday. The yield on 10-year Treasury notes was down 8.3 basis points at 3.618%, while the yield on the 30-year Treasury bond was 6.8 bps lower at 3.755%.

The two-year U.S. Treasury yield, which typically moves in step with interest rate expectations, was down 5.2 bps at 4.321%.

The safe-haven dollar also lost its footing, with the dollar index – which measures the currency against six major peers including the yen and euro – extending Wednesday's more than 1% drop into Thursday, dipping as low as 105.69.

The Japanese yen strengthened 1.02% versus the greenback at 136.65 per dollar, while sterling was last trading at $1.2086, up 0.25% on the day.

In commodity markets, gold prices climbed to a two-week high in early Asian trade on Thursday. Spot gold added 0.5% to $1,776.95 an ounce, while U.S. gold futures gained 1.73% to $1,776.20 an ounce.

(By Commoditiescontrol Bureau: +91-22-40015505)


       
  Rate this story 1 out of 52 out of 53 out of 54 out of 55 out of 5 Rated
0.0

   Post comment
Comment :

Note : This forum is moderated. We reserve the right to not publish and/or edit the comment on the site, if the comment is offensive, contains inappropriate data or violates our editorial policy.
Name :  
Email :  
   

Top | Post Comment  

Latest Market Commentary
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks pul...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian shares jum...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks tra...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks sli...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asia shares welc...
more
Top 5 News
Branded processed pulses at Mumbai APMC market- 4th Feb...
Burma Urad-Tur prices in $ terms at Chennai
Tur-Urad & Masoor remain weak at Delhi
Major producing states witness arrival of 1,32,200 bale...
Oil Spot Prices : 4-Feb-2023
Top 5 Special Reports
Soybean (Indore) Inflection Point: Retesting Range Su...
Chana Delhi (Rajasthan Line) Counter-trend Decline / ...
US Cotton net export sales for Jan 20-26 down 20% W/W a...
US Soybean net export sales for Jan 20-26 down 36% W/W ...
Sunflower Refined Oil (AP) A Bearish Sign: Major Supp...
Copyright © CC Commodity Info Services LLP. All rights reserved.