MDEX / KLC CLOSE TODAY (28 Nov 2022)
Login ID:
Password:
Partner Login
Contact Us : 7066511911

Global equity/currency markets update: Stocks gain on upbeat data, Fed hawks lift dollar

4 Aug 2022 8:36 am
 Comments 0 Comments  |  Comments Post Comment  |  Font Size A A A 

Mumbai, 4 Aug (Commoditiescontrol): Stocks in Asia rose on Thursday, taking cues from a strong rally on Wall Street after robust economic data and upbeat corporate guidance boosted investor appetite.

The dollar hovered near its highest this week after Federal Reserve officials continued to stress that policy tightening is far from over. However, Treasury yields remained down from two-week highs as investors stayed sidelined ahead of employment data this week that will guide the path of interest rates.

Crude oil prices stabilised after sliding to an almost six-month low overnight as U.S. data showed an unexpected surge in stockpiles.

Japan's Nikkei rose 0.58%, while Chinese blue chips added 0.55% and Hong Kong's Hang Seng jumped 1.24%, with an index of its tech stocks surging 2.29%. MSCI's broadest index of Asia-Pacific shares gained 0.65%.

U.S. S&P 500 futures were about flat, after the underlying index jumped 1.56% overnight and the tech-heavy Nasdaq surged 2.73% to a three-month peak.

Strong financial results from PayPal lifted the mood, while data showed new orders for U.S.-manufactured goods increased solidly.

Meanwhile, more Fed officials joined the chorus saying more tightening is necessary to rein in inflation.

However, one – San Francisco Fed President Mary Daly – said in an interview with Reuters that a half point hike may be what's needed at the next meeting in September, rather than another 75 basis-point rise.

Fed Chair Jerome Powell said last week the central bank may consider another "unusually large" rate hike at its Sept. 20-21 gathering.

Traders price 58.5% odds of a 50 basis point increase versus 41.5% probability for the bigger bump, which would see the most aggressive tightening path in more than a generation.

Benchmark long-term U.S. Treasury yields held at around 2.71% in Tokyo trading on Thursday. They rose overnight to the highest since July 22 at 2.851% but then got knocked back to end lower following Daly's comments.

The dollar index , which measures the greenback against six major counterparts, eased 0.11% to 106.36 on Thursday after rising as high as 106.82 in the previous session for the first time in a week.

Against Japan's currency, which is extremely sensitive to U.S. yields, the buck retreated 0.24% to 133.51 yen , after reaching 134.55 overnight. The majority of analysts say the dollar has yet to peak.

Crude oil rose in early Asian trade, bouncing off the previous day's multi-month lows following data that signalled weak U.S. fuel demand.

Brent crude futures rose 53 cents to $97.31 a barrel while West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures rose 55 cents to $91.21. Both benchmark fell to their weakest closing levels since February on Wednesday, at $96.50 and $90.66, respectively.

(By Commoditiescontrol Bureau: +91-22-40015505)


       
  Rate this story 1 out of 52 out of 53 out of 54 out of 55 out of 5 Rated
0.0

   Post comment
Comment :

Note : This forum is moderated. We reserve the right to not publish and/or edit the comment on the site, if the comment is offensive, contains inappropriate data or violates our editorial policy.
Name :  
Email :  
   

Top | Post Comment  

Latest Market Commentary
Global equity/currency markets update: Asia stocks, oil...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks gai...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks ris...
Global equity/currency markets update: Asian stocks fal...
Global equity/currency update: Asia stocks wobble as do...
more
Top 5 News
Tepid demand weighs on cotton yarn prices in Delhi, buy...
ZCE COTTON AND YARN EVENING CLOSE 28 NOV 2022
DCE OIL COMPLEX EVENING CLOSING 28 NOV 2022
Guar seed, gum prices settle firm on weak arrivals
Turmeric prices nearly steady at spot, futures
Top 5 Special Reports
Mustard Cake (Jaipur) Counter-trend Rally / Key Resis...
Kabuli Chana (Indore) Short-term Extended / Approachi...
Weekly: ICE Cotton stumbles upon pacy crop progress, po...
Week Ahead: Limited downside in Tur prices; may find su...
Week Ahead: Need-base buying of good quality Moong will...
Copyright © CC Commodity Info Services LLP. All rights reserved.