Login ID:
Password:
Partner Login
Contact Us : 7066511911

Fire Engulfs Mumbai Building, Killing at Least 15 People -- Update

29 Dec 2017 5:27 am
Associated Press 

NEW DELHI--A fire broke out early Friday in an upscale rooftop restaurant in Mumbai, India's financial and entertainment capital, leaving at least 15 dead and a dozen injured, officials said.

The fire, which started at about 1 a.m., quickly spread from the restaurant through a four-story building, fire official Balkrishna Kadam said.

The TimesNow television news channel said an artificial bamboo ceiling in the restaurant burned quickly and collapsed as people tried to escape. Most people died of suffocation from the smoke, it said.

More than 50 people were brought to a hospital, of whom 12 were being treated for injuries that weren't life threatening, said Avinash Supe, a doctor at KEM Hospital. Fire officials said 11 women were among the dead.

"There was a stampede and someone pushed me. People were running over me even as the ceiling above me was collapsing in flames. Still don't know how I got out alive,'" Mumbai gynecologist Sulbha Arora tweeted.

She said she was at the restaurant when the fire started and "before we knew it, the whole place was engulfed in a matter of seconds."

The building is located in a part of central Mumbai that was once an industrial area. It houses several upscale restaurants that moved in over the past few years to make it a popular nightlife destination, the New Delhi Television channel reported.

Babu Lal, who was celebrating his granddaughter's birthday at the restaurant, complained of poor safety standards at the crowded eatery. "I didn't see any fire extinguishers there,'" Mr. Lal told the TimesNow television news channel. His granddaughter died in the fire, he said.

Police filed a case of culpable homicide against the owners and the manager of the restaurant. No arrests have been made.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi's tweeted: "Anguished by the fire in Mumbai. My thoughts are with the bereaved families in this hour of grief. I pray that those injured recover quickly.'"

Several TV news channels operating from the compound had to stop broadcasting, reportedly due to damage to their equipment.

Eight fire engines battled the blaze for more than five hours, the fire official said.

Copyright 2017 the Associated Press.
 

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

December 29, 2017 00:27 ET (05:27 GMT)
Disclaimer
Top 5 Special Reports
CME SOYBEAN COMPLEX FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS REPORT
NCDEX SOYBEAN COMPLEX FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS REPORT
MCX CPO FUNDAMENTAL ANALYSIS REPORT
USD/INR (Apr. 20) Bullish Price Trend / Next Potenti...
Weekly: ICE Raw Sugar Loses Over 7% As Net Shorts Nearl...